Tuesday, December 11, 2007

APJ Abdul Kalam...

Just had an examination today: MCS. Had prepared horribly for it, same old story...
Came back in the afternoon, though I had known about Mr. Kalam's visit to BARC colony today, I wasn't planning to go and see him.
Gaddi called me up and asked me to accompany him and also joining us was Arani. Wasn't exactly excited about it initially though, but there wasn't anything to loose, so I went with them.
Well as is the case with most VVIPs, they arrive late, surprisingly Mr. Kalam arrived at the designated place only half an hour late. Obviously he wouldn't have been the only person responsible for it, he is known to be a man of Principles and a very punctual person.
But the one thing that completely changed my mood during the visit was when he made his entry onto the stage. People were going bonkers; kids, us, elder people, us, the teachers and faculty, us, the security personnel and us. You could see kids and their parents running in from different locations on the ground towards the gate from where he was entering, totally hilarious.
'Us' finds a mention quiet a few number of times because Arani actually started howling and cheering like an ecstatic kid. We were even more lucky as he had come over to the side of the stage, closest to which we were seated, and while he was being introduced to a few dignitaries, he just took a look at us while we were clapping and cheering him, and since I and Gaddi were the tallest guys there, managed to spot us from the crowd and he actually waved at us. I don't mind sounding kiddish but WOHOO!!
My younger bro had an opportunity to actually ask a question to the great old man, what his reply was is something I have to ask him when I talk to him later.
Saw a few of our teachers from school and college, and had a wonderful time recounting a few of the famous and infamous incidents from school. Gosh it was fun.
Also at the function was Mr. Dhanraj Pillai. We actually thought of singing 'Chak De' at the top of our voices. I am fan of his and seeing him in person was a surprise because one would not expect an ex-hockey player at the inauguration of a National Science Conference.
Only regret was that I didnt carry a camera along and my cell's cam gave way, stopped working, this sucks.
So this makes Mr. APJ the most popular person I have ever met. Coming in a close second would be Mr. Sunny Gavaskar. And at No.3 would be Mr. Pillai. Not a bad list to have eh?

No comments: